- To reduce symptoms of vertigo using vestibular habituation exercises performed by patients at home
- Movements loosen and ultimately disperse degenerated otolithic particles from the cupula of the posterior semicircular canal
- Instruct patient to hold each position for 30 seconds or
until vertigo subsides
- Sit on the edge of the bed (near the middle), legs
- Turn the head to the right at a 45° angle
- Quickly lie down on the
left side, maintain head position at 45°
- Sit up
- Turn head to the left at a 45°
- Quickly lie down on the right side, maintain head position at 45°
- Sit up
- Repeat exercise on each side 6-10 times
- Perform the exercise 2-3 times a day until vertigo
disappears for 2 consecutive days
- Remind patient to keep their nose to the ceiling when laying down on each side
- Bhattacharyya N, et al. Clinical practice guideline:
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008;139;47-81.
- Brandt T, Daroff RB. Physical therapy for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
Arch Otolaryngol 1980;106:484-5.
- Brandt T, et al. Therapy for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, revisited. Neurology 1994;44:796-800.